Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Tension Is Just In The Air..

It's been a quite relaxing week for the nursing students actually, well, that's what written in the timetable, unfortunately things just don't go smoothly just like planned, there's always more and more surprises to come!!

This week we are introduced to several courses which is quite new to us, and also more assignments and seminars!! Hm, less paperwork doesn't mean the burden got is less. This semester I am taking 9 courses, including 2 new electives which are the communication and self development followed by Arab language.Ya, Arab language, i know it sounds awkward but at least it is much better than ekosistem akuatik or tropikal than has nothing to do with nursing. My aim this year is to learn new things as much as I can. Sounds stupid but true, I also want to improve my relationship with others and gain more friends instead of enemy. I'm sick of having enemy since it's giving me a hard time going through every semester.

This semester 3rd year nursing student is no exception from meeting the lovely Miss Supa. I do hear from some of my seniors that she is a strict lecturer and has high expectations on us. Meeting her for the very first time nearly scares the hell out of me!! Haha, idiotic indeed. Today we were given the chance to experience ourselves what it feels like to be working in 2 Delima, a HDU neurology unit in HUSM. Taking the first time into that place it was full of serenity, not because it was heaven, it was like a silent battle field for comatose patient. Only the sounds of ventilators and respiratory aid can be heard. Freaking out with what i saw, it's not an easy task and ratio of 1 nurse to 1 patient is used to maintain quality health care. And meeting a really friendly nurse, Pn Zaidah has been able to cool down the tense besides giving tips on how to survive in the ward.

Honestly it make me think the importance of putting myself in theirs shoes since these patient is unconscious and unable to make decision themselves. Nurse's role is very important in sustaining sterility and calmness. Suddenly it make me feel really proud of myself for choosing this profession. I don't give a damn what other's thinking about nurses, to me it is a really noble job, besides applying a lot of skills together all in one such as communicating and being empathic.

After finish that session of visit we went back to do some discussion on what we feel, some said they were scared and some say they never expect the ward to be that way. Having talking heart-to-heart, Miss Supa certainly want to know deep down about us..there's whole lot more to say but i'm just not that prepared yet, but when i enter that ward again next time, i expect myself to be more self-disciplined and courageous..

No comments: